Gateway Health is funded by the Department of Health and Human Services to provide free Naloxone for people who require it.
Naloxone (commonly known as Narcan, Prenoxad or Nyxoid) is a medication that can reverse an opioid overdose.
Opioids include illegally obtained drugs such as heroin, or legal drugs prescribed for pain such as oxycodone and fentanyl.
You do not need to have a Medicare or Health Care Card to get Naloxone for free. It can be provided to family members, friends or carers of people who are at risk of overdosing.
There are a few ways to get Naloxone:
- Visit Gateway Health in Wodonga or Wangaratta for one or more of the following:
- Training regarding the administration of Naloxone
- The preferred Naloxone dose- Nyxoid spray and/or Prenoxad injection
- A Naloxone subsidy and you can obtain it from a local pharmacy for free
- Visit your GP and they can provide you with a script for the preferred Naloxone dose.
- If you are engaged with any service providers you can give them consent to contact us directly on your behalf.
Our Naloxone staff can provide overdose response training and access to Naloxone in an outreach capacity if required across the Ovens and Murray regions.
You can contact one of our Naloxone staff at Gateway Health:
- 45-47 MacKay Street, Wangaratta VIC 3677 – Phone 03 5723 2000
- 155 High Street, Wodonga VIC 3690 – Phone 02 6022 8888 or Freecall 1800 657 573
- Or email AODadmin@gatewayhealth.org.au
Participating Naloxone Pharmacies
|Terri White Pharmacy||127 High Street
(02) 6024 1710
|Elmwood Pharmacy||291 Beechworth Road
(02) 6024 1600
|Chemist Warehouse – High Street||178 High Street
(02) 6024 1411
|Chemist Warehouse – Birralee||Melrose Drive Shop G11 to G13
Birralee Village Shopping Centre
(02) 6059 2877
|Curtis Adams Pharmacy||46 Reid Street
(03) 5721 3651
|Ramsay Pharmacy||74 Ovens Street
(03) 5721 6669